For our first prompt for the Brave Blogging course (you can still join in!) I asked my students to play with the meme that went around on Facebook for years – 25 Random Things about Me. It’s a great way to get loose and free with your writing. Here we go!
1. When I was 9 years old I dreamed of being a dancer on a cruise ship.
2. My favorite sound is when a big dog is eating crunchy food.
3. I have always been the girl to arrive at the party first and leave by 10pm.
4. I proudly stole weed from my parents when I was in high school and was mortified when my friends said, “This is shit weed! We can’t smoke this!”
5. I was the homecoming queen.
6. In my early 20’s I was obsessed with vintage photo booths and photographed myself in wacky costumes.
7. I often (mistakenly) see people with limbs missing when I walk down the street. I know, weird!
8. I’m afraid to drive at night.
9. I’m afraid to drive in cities where I don’t know where I’m going.
10. GPS changed my life.
11. When I was born, the doctors told my mother I might have Down Syndrome because of the unique lines on my palms.
12. I realized I was a grownup when Ben had his first seizure and there was no one around but me.
13. I still live with my husband even though we have been separated for more than a year.
14. This has been a gift in many ways to our healing process as a family.
15. I used to believe I was broken.
16. Zoloft kinda saved my life.
17. I met Gary Coleman in an elevator at the Beverly Wilshire hotel when I was 8 years old. We were the same height.
18. I believe in ghosts.
19. Once, a ghost spooned me while I napped at a friend’s house. When I woke up it wouldn’t let go. It was weird and scary.
20. I fantasize about being a great runner who runs in the rain.
21. I can still do the splits.
22. I cuss like a sailor in the right company.
23. I like talking to strangers.
24. I have synesthesia and see numbers as colors.
25. I often take walks during the magic hour so I can commune with the dogs of the neighborhood. It’s always the highlight of my day.