Feelin’ lucky at 40*

We found a four leaf clover patch, Hana, Maui, shot with Canon Xsi

People have asked me how I feel about turning 40, if I have any anxieties about it, if I feel old... and the truth is, I feel weirdly excited about it. It feels like a badge of honor, a rite of passage, a doorway to even better things. I have the sense that this time is about choosing to live in that sweet spot where you have the wisdom of age and still a lot of spring in your step. Old enough to ground yourself in what really matters and still train for that marathon. (Something I will probably not being doing by the way, but dammit, I totally could) A time to care less about what people think and listen more to your own heart.

My trip to Hawaii was like nesting dolls of blessings, just when I thought one thing was the gift, there would be another tucked inside of that, and then another, and another.

Some highlights:

– Arriving at the airport and being adorned with a plumeria lei.
-Getting in the car, only to be warned there was a centipede somewhere inside and then finally finding it and escorting it out of the car. The road to Hana was so much more pleasant after that!
-My exquisite birthday lei.

My exquisite birthday lei, self-portrait

-Eating the most wonderful bananas, small and yellow and unlike anything I have ever tasted.
-Being in the clouds.

Me, taken by Laura with her iphone

-My surprise birthday picnic out on the bluffs overlooking the ocean. Complete with prosecco and fruit, incredible food and magic hour light, flowers and friends. All before the squall.

birthday picnic on the bluffs, shot with Canon S95

-Our magical 11/11/11 night at the secret restaurant.
-Hearing my friend Leokane sing at the Hana Maui hotel.
-Swimming in the water at the red sand beach.

Red sand beach, Hana

-Showering outside each day.
-The sound of the rain each night, the blustery warm wind, the sound of geckos.
-The smell of guava.
-The hike through the bamboo forest.
-The glorious banyan tree.

Banyan tree, on hike to bamboo forest, Hana, Maui

-The smell of plumeria and hibiscus, picking starfruit right from the trees, seeing avocados, papayas, pomegranate all from my bedroom window.
-The purple sky at dusk with the full moon.

Purple sky at dusk, full moon....

-Playing cards late into the night and giggling about everything and nothing.

Laura, Chris and me

taken with iphone

Laura, Chris, me

Leokane, me

I could gush more. And as I process my photos, I likely will. Let’s just say, for those of you who haven’t yet turned 40, there is nothing to fear! In fact, the sweetest days may be yet to come. (I’m hoping 50 and 60 and 70 and on are full of just as much magic) I also recommend gathering the folks who make you laugh the hardest and spending as much time with them as possible. Ideally, somewhere tropical. ;)

1. Keri
    Posted November 15, 2011 at 7:03 pm | Permalink

Wow! Great pictures and happy belated… here’s to 40!

2. Posted November 15, 2011 at 7:22 pm | Permalink

So well said.
    I like the sweet spot of wisdom and energy!

3. Posted November 15, 2011 at 7:28 pm | Permalink

Oh…such gorgeousness here, Andrea–your photos, your words, your perspective. I have just recently entered my 40s and it truly has been a doorway to brighter things.

Here’s to more and more openings, more and more spring in our step, to choosing to live in that incredibly sweet spot!

Happy Birthday!

With love,

Julia

4. Posted November 15, 2011 at 7:45 pm | Permalink

oh one of my most favorite places in all the world…and what a way to ring in 40. my 40th is a couple years off – so this was inspiring. buon compleanno, andrea!

5. Posted November 15, 2011 at 7:55 pm | Permalink

Yummy daydream delight. 50’s fast a comin’ for me and I’m thinking Italy.

6. Posted November 15, 2011 at 9:15 pm | Permalink

Happy happy 40th birthday!
    I think you forgot to mention wearing your favorite dress to celebrate :)

Funny, I felt old at 30 but am loving the fact that 38 is about to happen!

7. Alessia
    Posted November 15, 2011 at 10:35 pm | Permalink

Buon Compleanno Andrea!
    40 is a wonderful time! And you look the same! ( so funny to see Laura too in the pics).
    Your boys as soo darn cute!

8. Sara
    Posted November 16, 2011 at 12:01 am | Permalink

I have just a couple of years before I reach that magic number…you have made it sound joyful and really lovely. Many good wishes to you and a belated Happy 40th, you beautiful lady! You make the interwebs a more hopeful and grounded place.

9. jen
    Posted November 16, 2011 at 12:11 am | Permalink

So timely! Its my 40th birthday today!

10. Posted November 16, 2011 at 12:21 am | Permalink

I was just putting the finishing touches on your day in the Joy Up and popped over and this made me all teary. I have been dreaming of 40, which is not far away. I have worked really, really hard in my thirties with my children and my business and I am dreaming of 40 being when I get to relax into the joy I have created just a bit more!

Beautiful pictures. Beautiful gift. xo

11. Diane
    Posted November 16, 2011 at 2:14 am | Permalink

don’t fear… 50 is the bomb!!

12. Posted November 16, 2011 at 3:38 am | Permalink

A big happy 40 to you! Your trip looks glorious. I’m sad that I don’t have friends like yours.

13. Posted November 16, 2011 at 4:19 am | Permalink

Happy 40! Oh that sunshine looks so beautiful… medicine for November bluster here in the midwest. : )

14. Posted November 16, 2011 at 4:58 am | Permalink

beauty, pure beauty. just like you dear friend. i love the way you are soaking in 40. many blessings xoxo

15. Posted November 16, 2011 at 2:23 pm | Permalink

girl, welcome to THIS SIDE!!! doesn’t life look grand from here?! i’m so happy that you had such an incredible induction into your 40’s – and yes ma’am, 50 is even better (i’m halfway through at 55). you look more beautiful and alive than ever – i’m so proud of you. and i wish i lived closer so we could grow old(er) together, sharing stories and wine and cuss words and tea. xox

16. Posted November 16, 2011 at 2:51 pm | Permalink

Ah, turning 40. What a fear, what a shudder. I was talking to a woman a few years ago while standing in a line at a store and she said that her 40’s were her “best years”, that she “finally knew” who she was and was ALL THAT. That’s encouraging. I just dread saggier boobs, deeper facial lines and a saggy butt. Other than that, bring it on!

17. Posted November 17, 2011 at 11:45 am | Permalink

I’m really looking forward to 40, too (I’m going to learn how to surf-if I haven’t yet). Happy Birthday!!!

18. Posted November 17, 2011 at 12:57 pm | Permalink

yes, this year turning 40 felt like a sacred rite of passage for me too. it has been quite fabulous, this slowly soaking into my own skin/life with wild gratitude. thrilled that your celebration was magic. xo

19. Posted November 17, 2011 at 4:42 pm | Permalink

Oh this is SO GREAT Andrea. What a PERFECT birthday. So happy for you. And YES I feel so much more “ME” over here in the 40’s. Something so deepening – and ripening about getting into the 40’s. LOVE how you decided to celebrate it. Happy 40th year. May ALL of your dreams and even bigger ones come true for you
    xo
    *c

20. Posted November 17, 2011 at 7:28 pm | Permalink

I am looking forward to 40 myself. I feel like the 30s are about coming into my own, and the 40s will be about living/embodying it.

Hawaii + laughter sounds like the perfect way to celebrate your birthday.

Wishing you the happiest of belated birthdays, Andrea! Whenever I think of you, I think of magic and possibility and dreams come true. Thank you for bringing all of that into the world. May your next year be full of all that for you – plus lots of love and laughter.

xo

21. Posted November 18, 2011 at 3:14 am | Permalink

You are the best.

22. Posted November 18, 2011 at 10:18 am | Permalink

Glad you had a wonderful trip (how could you not?!) Thanks for sharing the photos – so yummy! And I love how you refer to forty as the sweet spot… must remeber that and share with others – love you! x

23. Trish
    Posted November 18, 2011 at 7:23 pm | Permalink

Welcome back! You look beautiful from your time in paradise!! Blessings to you my left coast friend.

Namaste wrapped up in love,
    Trish

24. Posted November 20, 2011 at 7:10 am | Permalink

My silly blog didn’t update your status. I figured you were quietly loving on your boys…Come to find, so much joy! Firstly, the wee bananas, an island secret. They are the PERFECT toddler size. My children lived on those, every house we lived in Hawaii had one of those tress. Secondly, Happy, Happy, Birthday. Forty is great, a quiet calm came over me that it easy to embrace. Blessings. Lastly, thanks for the bra information, Amazon is shipping one my way as I type. Xoxo.

25. Posted November 24, 2011 at 7:50 pm | Permalink

oh andrea!
    this looks so beautiful! just like you! warm, colorful, free and alive!!!
    xo
    elke

26. Posted November 28, 2011 at 3:31 pm | Permalink

I love how you have celebrated your fabulous 4-Oh.

I’m 46 and feel juicier than ever. It’s something I never imagined when I was, say, 26 … that getting older would mean sinking lovingly into myself.

xo

27. Shawna
    Posted November 28, 2011 at 10:07 pm | Permalink

You cut your hair! no more pigtails but it looks super cute!

28. Posted December 7, 2011 at 1:21 am | Permalink

Happy belated Birthday!

That’s an absolutely gorgeous lei.

I’ve been a little twitchy about turning 38 next year but you’re making 40 look like so much fun that I’m worrying less and less.

29. Posted December 15, 2011 at 8:16 pm | Permalink

I spent my 40 day on Maui, too!!! Such a magical place to be – especially on a day like this…Wish you all the best!