Summer adventure: Visit the dahlia garden in Golden Gate Park

dahlia_yellow_white_tips.jpg

This has been on my list for almost five years. Five years! When I lived in San Francisco, I would visit the dahlia garden at the end of every summer, just to photograph them. One year I motivated myself to get up at the crack of dawn and when I arrived at 7AM I was surprised to find at least six other photographers there, complete with tripods and fancy cameras! Apparently I’m not alone in my obsession.

Here are my favorites from the day… I also included some shots of me shooting that my friend Micki took. If you are coming to SF in the summertime, don’t miss the dahlias! They are something miraculous.

-5.jpg

pink_cutie.jpg

purple_white_green.jpg

-4.jpg

dahlia_magenta_700.jpg

1. Posted August 25, 2011 at 9:42 am | Permalink

ooh…it looks incredible.
    if one of my yearly trips to your town falls in the late summer next year this will so be at the top of my must-do list!

2. sara
    Posted August 25, 2011 at 10:33 am | Permalink

beautiful!
    missing y’all lately. in re: your previous post, please tell Ben that I think his voice is one of the most wonderful things in all of God’s creation and I can’t wait to hear what he’s thinking about next time I visit.
    xoxo

3. Posted August 25, 2011 at 10:35 am | Permalink

STUNNING. And so are the flowers and that photo of Ben! xoxox I wonder if those flowers will be around when we come visit in September?

4. Posted August 25, 2011 at 10:46 am | Permalink

Last year I grew two plants in my backyard here in Austin, TX and they produced large beautiful flowers for me. Sadly, this year it has been too hot and although the plants grew (very tall and very sturdy) the little buds never opened. I’m hoping for a early fall show, but not sure the plants will hold on that long. Thanks so much for sharing these amazing images you took. Dahlia’s are truly on of my favorite flowers.

5. Posted August 25, 2011 at 10:54 am | Permalink

what perfect timing! I am going to the city tomorrow and i will add this to our adventure list. thank you! :)

6. Posted August 25, 2011 at 10:58 am | Permalink

Sadly Dahlia’s seem to be consumed by slugs here and then they have to be dug up for the winter, started indoors in spring and planted outside again in the summer. They are beautiful flowers though. Long sleeves on Ben and a jacket on you..hmmmmmm I know why I love San Francisco (weather)

7. Posted August 25, 2011 at 11:49 am | Permalink

oh thanks – so beautiful. just what i needed to see.

8. marilee pittman
    Posted August 25, 2011 at 12:20 pm | Permalink

I so love Dahlia, they were a favourite in the gardens of my childhood…

9. Beth
    Posted August 25, 2011 at 12:56 pm | Permalink

These are lovely!! I wish I could come to SF and visit the flowers – someday I’ll get there – I have family in Palo Alto…plus I could say HI! to you! :) Now off to look at flowers around my neighborhood! – with my camera in hand! Looking forward to the next photography class!

10. Posted August 25, 2011 at 2:33 pm | Permalink

Andrea, would you please do a post where you talk about your amazing boots? I am in the market (and I bet a lot of others are as the fall creeps in) and would love to hear about yours. You always have the best pairs!

11. Posted August 25, 2011 at 2:34 pm | Permalink

12. rebecca
    Posted August 25, 2011 at 4:08 pm | Permalink

oh, so very beautiful. the dahlias and the photographs.

13. Posted August 25, 2011 at 5:04 pm | Permalink

Hooray for the macro lens! These are beautiful.

14. Posted August 25, 2011 at 5:40 pm | Permalink

Andrea, i am hoping you see this before the morning. can you tell me where they are in the park? I’ve never been there before and I know it’s a big park.

15. Posted August 25, 2011 at 6:39 pm | Permalink

Dahlias are my absolute favorite! They were my wedding flowers. I wish we could buy them in floral shops here in the midwest, but you have to special order them. I’ll have to put that park on my life list.

16. Posted August 26, 2011 at 6:54 am | Permalink

Gorgeous!
    Especially the one of Ben.

17. Posted August 26, 2011 at 6:58 am | Permalink

GORGEOUS!! Absolutely beautiful. I can’t believe you’re wearing a jacket, pants and boots. LOL, it’s been 99* here – gotta love SF summers :) Mostly these photos make me miss you guys even more…xx

18. heather
    Posted August 26, 2011 at 7:28 am | Permalink

My husband and I went to SF for the first time last year. I love photographing botanicals, and I had a heart attack when I saw the Dahlia Garden. So gorgeous!!

19. Susie M
    Posted August 26, 2011 at 8:17 am | Permalink

Beautiful! Thanks!!!

20. Karen
    Posted August 26, 2011 at 5:59 pm | Permalink

And that’s EXACTLY why I named my daughter Dahlia!
    Beautiful pix, thanks!

21. Posted August 26, 2011 at 11:19 pm | Permalink

Beautiful pictures!

22. Susanne
    Posted August 27, 2011 at 4:10 am | Permalink

such good pic. they are one of my fav flowers! :)